Friday, June 20, 2008

Dear Dad

It has been 3 years since you left this world.

Don’t worry about Mummy. She is healthy and well. Nothing seems to slow her down. In fact, she just came back from her high school reunion in Melbourne. I call her every other day (not just to ask her for more money!). She says that she dreams of you sometimes. Actually, I do too. We miss you a lot.

How have you been?

I guess I am doing alright. Not too shabby. On bad days, probably I’d be overwhelmed with all the responsibilities I have and juggling studies along. I know it was even tougher during your time, having to take care of your younger siblings and all that making ends meet. I don’t have to worry about that. And I am forever grateful. I truthfully appreciate all the hard work and sacrifices you made when you were around. Otherwise, life would not be so easy for Mummy and I today.

We never did talk a lot because you were often hidden behind mountain piles of graphs, charts and other documents. Also, it appeared to me that you always wanted to talk me into doing something I was not interested in.

I was the rebellious teenager for as long as I remember. Maybe it was just my foolish way of getting your attention. I was disappointed and frustrated that you never seemed to be around then. Good grades and medals did not gain me more time to spend with you.

Honestly, all that was just my superficial perspective of things. I know better now. You have never forgotten my birthday (or any other special days in our family!). Behind all the love that Mummy showered me with, you were playing an important role as well. I am an extremely fortunate boy. I got almost everything I desired. Yes, so much luckier than the average kid.

All thanks to you, Dad.

As time goes by and I slowly mature, I have come to realise how big of an influence you are in my life. You always told me to never give up, to never conform to the masses and to always believe in myself. You taught me that rewards only come to those who were willing to work hard. I am sorry that I never realised the true depth to your words when I was younger. You and Mummy will always be the guiding light in my life.

Relatives comment on how they miss your roaring laughter at the dinner table. Whenever we meet your old friends, they often remember you as being a diligent and a very good man; with a voracious appetite. Uncle Lim and Theresa, your secretary even call Mummy once in a while to talk to her. They miss having you around. You are always in our thoughts.

It has been 3 years but it feels like you have never left us. Keep watching over our family. We know you have got our back.

Please take care.

Your Loving Son

3 comments:

senaiboy said...

He'll be very proud of you (:

rumswizzle said...

Aww. Sweet post =) almost got me to tears, that one.

Eve said...

I agree with S. :)